My 3-Point Checklist for Every Options Trade

Click to watch Larry live on YouTube
From The Editor
Larry’s Note: During the “Retirement Reset” that followed 2020, one small corner of the market was flooded with money, sending a group of overlooked stocks soaring.
Stock #1 rose approximately 1,415%. Stock #2 gained around 1,228%. And Stock #3 climbed more than 1,000%. These weren’t AI stocks. They weren’t blue chips. They came from one unexpected corner almost nobody was watching.
Now, money is moving again. And I believe Nvidia’s August 26 announcement could trigger an even bigger “Retirement Reset.” That’s why I’m inviting you to attend The AI Retirement Reset Emergency Briefing on Wednesday, August 26, at 8 p.m. ET. To RSVP and get all the details, simply go right here.

Good options trading isn't about predicting every move. Here are three things every trade must offer before you should risk a single dollar…
Larry Benedict
Written by
Larry Benedict
Published on
Aug 21, 2026
Over my 40-plus years in the markets, I’ve learned that good trading isn’t about trying to predict every move. It’s about finding situations where the odds are stacked sufficiently in your favor – and knowing exactly what you’re risking if you’re wrong.
That’s particularly important with options. Before I enter an options trade, there are three things I’m looking for: clearly defined risk, sufficient potential reward, and a reason for the trade to work within the available time frame.
If I can’t get comfortable with all three, I’m happy to sit things out and wait for another opportunity to come my way.
The first one is especially important…
When I buy an option, my maximum loss is limited to the premium I’ve paid. If I buy an option for $3, for example, then I’m risking $300 per contract (an option contract is for 100 shares). That allows me to know my maximum potential loss before I ever enter the trade.
But defined risk alone doesn’t make something a good trade. That’s where the other two factors come into play…

Recommended Links


What Larry Did While $3.4 Trillion Vanished

During the 2022 Retirement Reset, approximately $3.4 trillion was wiped from US retirements. Yet Larry Benedict put together 14 straight winning trades for his members. Inside that streak, he even created the potential to turn $10,000 into more than $156,000… In just 44 days. Now Larry believes the biggest Retirement Reset of his 40-year career has begun. He’ll reveal the ONE ticker he believes should be your first move, during a free briefing on August 26 at 8 p.m. ET. Click here to register with a single click.

(When you click the link, your email address will automatically be added to Larry’s guest list.)


Elon Musk on His New Invention: “An Infinite Money Glitch.”

Elon Musk’s new patent protects a new invention that could rewrite the future of wealth forever. It’s a radical new form of AI Jeff Brown calls “M.A.G.I…” One so revolutionary that Elon called it an “infinite money glitch.” Click here to see the details because he believes this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to potentially create wealth on a scale most people can’t even comprehend.


Make Sure the Reward Justifies the Risk
Let’s say I’m considering buying an option that costs $3. If I think the most I can realistically make is another $1, I’m risking $3 to potentially make $1. That’s not the type of risk/reward relationship I’m usually looking for.
Instead, I want situations where a relatively small amount of capital can potentially generate a much larger return if my analysis proves correct.
That doesn’t mean every trade needs to double or triple. The potential reward I’m looking for depends on the setup, probability of success, and how much I’m risking.
But there has to be enough upside to compensate me for doing the trade. That’s something new traders often overlook…
They become so focused on whether a stock is going up or down that they forget to ask whether the potential payoff is worth the risk they’re taking on.
Professional traders think differently. Before putting money on the line, I’m thinking about what happens if I’m right, what happens if I’m wrong, and whether the relationship between those two outcomes makes sense.
But with options, there’s another complication. It’s not enough to be right. You also need the move to happen within your required time frame.

Tune in to Trading With Larry Live

chart

Each week, Market Wizard Larry Benedict goes live to share his thoughts on what’s impacting the markets. Whether you’re a novice or expert trader, you won’t want to miss Larry’s insights and analysis. Even better, it’s free to watch.

Visit us on YouTube to catch the latest!

Have a Reason for the Move to Happen Now
Unlike shares, options have an expiration date. That means I don’t want to buy an option simply because I believe a stock looks cheap or expensive and hope that eventually the market agrees with me.
I want a setup or catalyst that gives me a reason to believe the move could happen before my option expires.
That catalyst doesn’t necessarily need to be a single event such as earnings or a Federal Reserve meeting. It could be a technical setup, an overbought or oversold condition, an extreme move I’m expecting to snap back the other way, an important economic release, or a shift in volatility.
What matters is that I have a reason for entering the trade now.
Because every day an option sits there without the move I expected playing out, time is working against me. That’s theta – or time decay – gradually reducing the value of the option as expiration approaches.
And that’s why these three elements work together. Defined risk tells me what I can lose. Potential reward tells me whether the trade is worth taking. And the setup or catalyst tells me why the opportunity exists right now.
Take away any one of those, and the trade becomes much less attractive. That’s also why I don’t feel compelled to trade every day.
The smartest thing you can do is wait until all three things line up. The objective isn’t simply to find a trade. It’s to find a trade where the potential reward justifies the risk – and where there’s a clear reason for that opportunity to play out within your required time frame.
That’s what I’m looking for before I consider putting my money to work.
Regards,
Larry Benedict
Editor, Trading With Larry Benedict

Get Instant Trade Alerts on Mobile!
Click the icon below from your mobile device to download The Opportunistic Trader app today for one-tap access to trade alerts, issues, and model portfolios for all of Larry’s services.
Available in the app store on Android and iPhone.
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

More stories like this
Read the latest analysis on hot growth stocks, and market-moving developments
Why Rising Interest Rates Could Be Here to Stay
Bond yields are soaring, with 30-year Treasury bonds at their highest level since 2007. Here's why rising interest rates will matter to your portfolio…
Aug 20, 2026 • 3 min read
Why Rising Interest Rates Could Be Here to Stay
How to Trade Treasury Yields With Options
Here’s how to trade rising or falling Treasury yields using options on TLT…
Aug 19, 2026 • 3 min read
How to Trade Treasury Yields With Options
The Fed Rate Bet Traders May Regret
Markets are convinced the Fed won't hike in September. Here’s why a month of data could flip that bet – and where the real trade is…
Aug 18, 2026 • 3 min read
The Fed Rate Bet Traders May Regret

1125 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201
www.opportunistictrader.com

To ensure our emails continue reaching your inbox, please add our email address to your address book.

This editorial email containing advertisements was sent to penunggangbadai.moneyblog@blogger.com because you subscribed to this service. To stop receiving these emails, click here.

The Opportunistic Trader welcomes your feedback and questions. But please note: The law prohibits us from giving personalized advice.

To contact Customer Service, call toll free Domestic/International: 1-888-208-6550, Mon–Fri, 9am–5pm ET, or email us here.

© 2026 Omnia Research, LLC. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, copying, or redistribution of our content, in whole or in part, is prohibited without written permission from Omnia Research, LLC.

Subscribe to receive free email updates:

0 Response to "My 3-Point Checklist for Every Options Trade"

Post a Comment